the first blog post of this series is here
I have been involved with bands, musicians and music production all my life. My last "proper" project was co-producing The Riverwalk Session by 3how.
So...Picasso. Music... I am working on a piece of interactive fiction that combines my original story ideas with factual information about a painting Picasso painted in 1921.Here is a great description of interactive fiction, as well as the Interactive Fiction Competition which I am determined to enter.
At the moment, I am focusing on music/a song which would be heard beneath the end credits.
I would prefer to create something new, working with musicians, vocalists and other people. I am now in Singapore/Bali. The music should be finished in the next three weeks. I have started work on lyrics and can suggest types of music, instrumentation, etc. that would reflect well on the story and the painting itself.
But, although I am fortunate to have talented friends here, there is probably not enough time to create something new. Which means using existing music.
The pluses to using are existing music are:
- It is completed and I know exactly what I am getting.
- No schedules to co-ordinate, no studios to book.
- No possible personality clashes.
- The legal side of things is simpler.
- The synergy of someone who has a "new" following/fan base.
The minuses of using existing music are;
- Difficult or impossible to use lyrics created to specifically reference the story.
- There is no creative process.
- Solitary, brief-lived enjoyment
I should also mention that that there is no budget for this project. Later, when it is finished, it will become a game for sale as well as an ebook. There are other possibilities as well.
I don't like asking people to do things "for the publicity". I would pay people if I could. But the best is working with people who are excited and focused, whether paid or not.